National Technical Honor Society
The National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) is a non-profit organization for outstanding students enrolled in career and technology education programs. The purpose of the NTHS are to promote service, leadership, honesty, career development, and skilled workmanship;to reward student achievement; to encourage and assist students' education and career goal setting; to promote a stronger link between local career and technical education center of America. Since 1989, outstanding Newberry County Career Center students have been inducted to this worthy organization based on achievement and teacher recommendations.
Criteria for 2020 - 2021
Membership in the National Technical Honor Society is one of the highest honors that a CTE student can attain. This national organization recognizes outstanding occupational completers who have distinguished themselves academically in their chosen occupational area and who possess desirable qualities such as leadership, citizenship, and dependability. This honor is similar to the National Honor Society and Beta Club at the home high schools, which recognize students with outstanding academics and leadership qualities.
Seniors & Juniors enrolled in the final level of a NCCC program/major may be selected to apply for NTHS membership based on all of the following criteria:
- Nomination from the Career Center teacher of chosen completer program.
- Have a 90 average or above in the program area of nomination for the in all courses leading up to the final course in the program AND no less than an 87 in any career center courses prior to current semester.
- Have passing grades in all courses during the current academic year.
- Student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher for the student’s entire high school career.
- Have no out-of-school or in-school suspensions for the current year up to the time of the induction ceremony.
- Have no more than 5 unexcused absences.
- Be dependable and honest, be safety conscious, take pride in work, exhibit leadership qualities, exhibit good citizenship
Students will be recognized with the official purple and silver NTHS Honor Cord at graduation. In addition, the NTHS national office will provide letters of recommendation that can be used for college, scholarship, or job applications.
NTHS helps members to:
- Apply for scholarships to seek postsecondary education. NTHS awards over $300,000 in scholarships annually.
- Position yourself ahead of competition in today’s highly competitive workforce.
- Earn recognition for superior achievement in career and technical fields.
- Build career portfolios with professional letters of recommendation.
- Connect to global career and technical education networks.
- Discover opportunities with leading business and industry.
- Serve in leadership roles in communities and industries.
What Members Receive
Be recognized for their achievement in career and technical education. As a member, you will receive a professional portfolio containing your membership certificate and card to showcase your membership. In addition, you will receive an official NTHS certificate seal on your completer certificate at graduation, graduation tassel, lapel pin, and window decal to display your NTHS affiliation.